My World

My World
The street on which I live.

Friday, 29 June 2007

Tales of a South African Pub



The Buck & Hog is a pub in Emmarentia, a suburb in Johannesburg. Affectionately known as the Buck, it's a pub like any other might find anywhere in South Africa, maybe in the world. But for the patrons, and even those who don't go there much, or have only been there once or twice, the Buck is more than that. It's a home away from home, a place to wind down, or wind up, a place to rant about your troubles, or give advice to someone else, a place to do the crossword, or compete with others with the general knowledge section of the newspaper. It's a warm, comfortable place.

The Buck is co-owned by my sister, Bronwen, but it wasn't always so. For years before Bron even started working there, and for a time afterwards, it was owned by Charles, a butcher by trade (from what I've been able to glean). Charles is an interesting character. A large man, over six feet tall, with his very own tankard that only he, as former Master of the Buck, gets to drink out of. He's known for disliking loud or live music and giving some pretty good hugs. He also seems to have a constant phobia of stepping on my nephew Xavier.

But back to Bronwen. Obviously, I've known her my whole life (she being my older sister and all). She's business-minded, capable, able to multitask in an almost super-human way. She gets things done, and above all, she's loveable. She's a take-no-shit-I-bite-back type of person. She's tiny, only about 5'2" (and she's never forgiven me for growing taller than her), but she exudes a strength that I can only dream of having one day. She juggles handling the pub and raising her 13-month-old son, Xavier.

The other co-owner of the Buck, the financial backer, is PC. A man of British descent, he says little (at least to me), and seems a very quiet and shy man. But those that know him seem to love him. He's tall, thin, with grey hair, though he can't be much older than his 50's. He seems to love the Buck, he gets so excited when he works. He's a good person.

The Buck wouldn't be able to function with just Bronwen at the helm (since I don't think PC has the abilities of a barman), or at least, she wouldn't be able to function if she had to do it herself. So, there are those that work the bar, and the restaurant. Linda, Brian, Michelle, Yvonne, Wessel, Percent and David.

Linda is amazing. She's a manicurist by trade and does some pretty amazing shit with people's nails. As soon as I get over my nail-biting habit, I plan on going to her! She's been married twice, and her youngest lives with her ex-husband. Her older daughter, Christa (15) lives with her and her new husband, Graham. She's another take-no-shit type of person, and capable of whipping everyone into line. She's sweet, funny and caring, and she's amazing with Xavier, whom she often babysits.

Brian is an interesting guy. From Zimbabwe originally, he's now studying journalism through UNISA and paying his way with his job at the Buck, along with several other jobs, while taking care of his wife and two-year-old daughter, Wanayi, who is absolutely gorgeous. I gave Brian a crash course in computers when he first started his degree. He's a nice, loyal guy, even if he's sometimes a little bit unreliable.

Michelle recently started working there. A strangely timid lady, originally from the UK, she's had some problems in her life, but is slowly working through them. She's funny, and she strikes me as a person who wants to be accepted by those she's around. She's kind, and has a penchant for wearing jerseys with teddy-bears on them. She has a little daughter of nine, who lives in Durban with Michelle's mother.

Yvonne, I don't know much about. She's a quiet girl who seems to be about my age, but very capable and sweet. I haven't spoken to her much, but she works hard, and she's almost always smiling.

Percent and David are the chefs of the Buck and they cook DAMN nice food. I know little about them too, except that they work hard, and will willingly cart pizza up five flights of stairs for me when I'm babysitting Xav in the flat upstairs. They're friendly, grat guys. Wessel... all I know is that he's Linda's brother, but he's a very nice guy who makes one hell of a difference to the distribution of the work load on a busy weekend.

And then you get the regulars. Aside from my dad and me, there's a multitude of strange and loveable characters who frequent this apparently most desired of watering holes. Two noteables are, of course, Brett, Bronwen's fiance and Xavier's dad, and Graham, Linda's husband. Brett is a jack of all trades and master of most of them. Builder, plumber, electritian, you name it, he can fix it. He adores Bron, and he's a great dad. Xavier is his second child. About 15 years ago his wife and 18-month-old daughter were killed in a car accident, and Brett only really got over it shortly before Xav was born. Brett's a strong guy, with a strange sort of vulnerability about him. I love him dearly, and so does my family.

Graham... he's interesting. He worked in Media for a while, and I'm not sure what he does now, but he's extremely bright. We have the same taste in books and have a sort of trade thing going. I like him a lot, I've got a lot of time for him. He's very good with Christa, his step-daughter, too, and treats her like his own. They're very alike. Graham is also what I like to call Bronwen's arch-nemesis. Those two are constantly chirping one another shit. It's really amusing.

There's also Uncle Roy, who suffers from emphisema and has to be on oxygen for most of the day, except for his hour when he gets to come down the Buck, like clockwork, and sit and have his two cigarrettes and his drinks. He's interesting to talk to, and was once an engineer.

Then there's Angie, also known as Godbat (being Xavier's godmother). She's kind, and sweet, and well-meaning, even if she can get a bit much at times. Everyone loves her and cares about her, for all her flightiness. If you're in trouble, or upset, you can always count on Angie for some advice, or just a hug and shoulder to cry on. She's a great person, and so amazingly full of love for the world, for all her issues and problems. I love her dearly.

Richard (with guitar) and Angie (with Xavier)

And that leads me to the next godparent, Richard. Like Angie, I've known him for years. He provides the live music some evenings, and on Saturdays. He loves Xavier, and is a wonderful guy to know. He's constantly trying to get me to do the cryptic crossword with him, even though I'm completely hopeless at it. He has the patience to sit with me through every clue until I get it.

That's not everyone from the Buck, not by a long shot. But they're the some of the ones I know best. To go into everyone would make this entry about twice as long!

In ay case, the Buck & Hog is a place very near and dear to my heart, and I love it there, even though I don't touch alcohol.



The Buck & Hog. From left to right: A patron, Brett, Bronwen, Xavier, I Forget His Name, and a Blurry Yvonne.



So, if you're ever in the area, this is one place to go visit. ^_^

No comments: